Monday, September 10, 2012

Oromandibular Limb Hypoplasia

Overview:
Oromandibular Limb Hypoplasia

Symptoms:
My son was born with no feet, and with missing/small fingers. He was also severely tongue-tied, as he was born without a frenulum.

Tests/Diagnosis:
Shriner's Children's Hospital of Philadelphia diagnosed him with Oromandibular Limb Hypoplasia when he was 3 months old. Prior to that, we had no real diagnosis, just guessing.

Treatments:
He had reconstructive surgery on his tongue at 11 months old. He currently receives Occupational Therapy once a week and Physical Therapy twice a week.

Resources:
There are none.

Personal Story:
I found out that Kayden did not have any feet when I was 13 weeks pregnant. After that, the doctors accused me of being a drug addict and monitored my pregnancy as a high risk pregnancy. (I am not & have never been a drug addict, this is just how the doctors chose to treat me because they have never seen his condition before.) When Kayden was 3 months old and we finally learned of the name of his "disease", (it is classified as a rare disease) I immediately starting searching for anything else I could find on it. To date, the only information I can find is two people in Columbia, unrelated, with his disease and one little girl in Georgia who was adopted, whose story is online.


Contributed by MOM Alyssa Johnston

No comments:

Post a Comment